The Baltimore Paparazzi

The Baltimore Paparazzi

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What Happened To Hip Hop?



As I was driving this morning, they were talking about the BET Hip Hop Awards show that aired last night.  Now I didn't watch it nor did I have any desire to do so.  Why?  Because I'm not a fan of industry hip hop.  Don't get me wrong, there are a few songs I will listen to but if it weren't for the fact that the cd player in my car doesn't work, I wouldn't really know anything about what is being played on the radio.  I do however like J. Cole.  I think that is a talented young man and if the industry doesn't try to control and censor him, he may be one of the few who can bring back real lyrics and real hip hop.

I know that things can't stay the same and they have to progress and move forward but have any of you really listened to any of the lyrics in majority of the songs that are popular?  Gone are the days of telling stories or being political without being militant.  Gone are the days of rhymes that make you say Damn did you just hear that??  Gone are the days of what hip hop was really made to be about.  Now you have cartoon characters and gimmicks that just make you look at the videos and say what the hell are they talking about.

Now I know alot of people are wondering Lisa what makes your fat white ass such an expert on the hip hop scene.  Well I'm not an expert, I'm a fan of music and have been listening and dealing with music since probably birth.  You see my musical ear goes beyond hip hop and R&B.  I listen to every genre there is.  So my range is wide when it comes to music.

Also I have been around people who make music for alot longer than the time I have been in this scene.  10 yrs ago I met someone who had his own group, was touring and had meeting with A&R's.  To this day he is still in the business.  Has a distribution company, has a tv show that he is filming and still recording with industry people.  I have an ex who used to write rhymes and was in NY one day and last his rhyme book on the subway.  The next thing he knew one of his boys told him he heard his lyrics on the radio being put out by Bad Boy Ent.  So I was in the scene before most of the people in it even knew what the scene was.

I just want to hear good music.  I want to hear a story being told that doesn't have the same worn out bullshit lines that every other song has.  Two people can tell the same story but it's all in how they present it that makes you listen.

Industry music has been dumbed down so much.  Don't believe me? Just look at what's being played on the radio.  Pretty Boy Swag, Teach Me How To Dougie, Anything by Waka Flocka......Tell me that the words in any of those songs matter to anyone.  The only reason that music is getting played is because it has a good beat or the kids can dance to it!  Do an experiment. Pick a song that is on the radio, something that gets played every hour on the hour, either look up the lyrics or just listen to the lyrics.  Now play the song and close your eyes and see if you can see the song in your head like a movie.  If you can then maybe you need to be in the movie business because you have a vision that I can't get.

I think there needs to be an education seminar for these young rappers coming up in the scene.  They need to stop trying to sound like Little Wayne, the females need to stop trying to be Nicki Minja and they need to listen to the likes of KRS-1, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang, Run DMC, Slick Rick, Too Short, Salt & Pepa, Mc Lyte, Queen Latifah, Guru, Gangstar, George Clinton and list goes on and on and on.

That's just my personal opinion.  But what do I know?  I'm just a nobody anyway.  Just a lover of music....all kinds!!!

No comments: