The Baltimore Paparazzi

The Baltimore Paparazzi

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Sad Day In Baltimore........


I can't tell you when we were introduced.....I really don't think there was I hi my name is Lisa or a hi my name is OOH.  I can however tell you the first time I seen him.

I had gone to a cd release party at the 13th Floor at the Belvedere.  I had just started showing my face on the music scene and barely knew anyone.  So this group got on stage and started performing.  I was taking pictures....like always because I didn't know people and I wanted to remember the shows.  The guy on the mic said something about being from Poplar Grove!  Oh ok....that's where I live!  Then he raised his shirt and I took pictures of his stomach.  Never knew who he or the group was but I really didn't know but a handful of people at that time.


The next memory I have is when I was on stage at the Baltimore Crown Awards.  I was accepting an award....not sure what it was for...might have been Photographer of the Year or Contribution Award....anyway, I was saying that most of the people in there might not know me and I take pictures of the local hip hop shows, ect.  OOH yells you took pictures of my stomach and said it a couple more times.  It made me smile and laugh and honored that he would speak up like that!  Almost giving me validity in the music scene.

In February, I had my event and The Love Peace Project wanted to be apart of it and I said sure. Love having something different at the event!  Changa then told me that Brown F.I.S.H. was going to be apart of it too!  I was so excited!  By now I knew who Jahiti and OOH were and held conversations and loved being in their presence.  OOH called me and we had a long talk about the event and all the details that he wasn't sure about.  So we made a deal that he would host and I was so excited!!!  The show went till after 2am.  LOL  Larry was trying to tell me to wrap it up.  Solomon was more understanding.  And OOH was his usual smiling and awesome self!



Last night I knew that something had happened to OOH but was hoping that it was nothing serious and we would be seeing him posting about his Save A Dope Boy campaign or something about saving our youth but instead I got a phone call a little after 9pm that had me stunned, my heart hurting, my mind went blank, and tears were streaming.

OOH.....Derrick Jones......Yo Slick.....was gone.

My first thoughts were of his wife, child and family.  I know that feeling.  I have been through it.  No words can comfort.  No words can make you feeling any better!  But I know that with time those words mean a whole lot to them.

This man....this one man was trying to make a difference in the city.  He had an idea and a plan and he made it happen.  He was supported by so many that he supported.

June 3, 2014 we lost a man who not only was a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a uncle....we lost a phenomenal artist, innovator, advocate, legend and most of all a hero.

#SAVEADOPEBOY 











 


1 comment:

Tif/Poetology said...

well said, yu captured his essence in a story hundreds have to tell explaining the virtue of his aura. Thank yu